Thursday, September 17, 2009

Coffee and a pregnancy test... or more.

Today I'm having flashbacks of the morning I told Leo that he was going to be a dad. It's a good thing I wrote this down a few days later, because I didn't remember all the details.. here it is...


I remember waking up that morning, with instincts to go buy a test. I told Leo that I was going to get a coffee (didn’t want to get his hopes up). He asked for one too which meant that I had to actually go and get coffees. I bought the coffee’s first and then two pregnancy tests. I remember feeling like a guilty teenager when I was paying for them. Hahaha.

Upon my return I tiptoed around the house and took one test. It immediately came back positive. Thinking I did something wrong I tried for the second test. But I couldn’t pee. So after drinking about 3 glasses of water I took another test. It came back positive too. I remember sitting on the bathroom floor, crying, at the thought that is could be true. Happy but scared at the same time. I walked into the bedroom, woke Leo up saying “You better drink my coffee too” In his delirium, he asks “Why”? My response “Because you can’t drink coffee when you are pregnant”. He shot up in bed. Stared… and put his arms around me!

I remember immediately calling the doctor for an appointment… couldn’t get in till next week… calling the walk in… they don’t do tests… the nurse told me that if my test came back positive then I am pregnant… I remember saying “So I’m having a baby” She says “Yes my dear, you are having a baby”. I contemplated faking being sick and going to the ER for a blood test. For some reason I just wouldn’t believe it.

After talking to Leo I felt like I had to take another test. So this time I went to A&P and bought two more (I didn’t want to look like an idiot at the drugstore ) I came home, peed in a cup… the first test.. positive… the second.. NEGATIVE! What???

I called back to the group health… made an appointment for Wednesday. In the meantime I picked up two more tests from a nurse friend of mine… came home… downed 2 more glasses of water.. peed in a cup… and both NEGATIVE. I was crushed. Cried. Slept. For two hours. I went to work that night knowing that I wasn't pregnant. After work I picked up two more tests.

On Wednesday morning, I took the tests as soon as I woke up. I remember sitting there and staring while the lines came back positive. I walked away, trying to hold in the disappointment, convincing mysel, we'll just keep trying. After I finished getting ready for the day, I went back to the bathroom to throw the tests in the garbage... Low and behold… POSITIVE, twice!


So, let's count them up

2...

2...

2...

2



Yup... that's right... 8 tests later, I FINALLY believed it. What a thrill! I guess the reason why I came back with negatives, was because after so many tests and so many glasses of water... I was actually peeing out only water... hahaha! What an idiot I am!



We thought of ways to tell our loved ones. This is what we came up with...




Thinking back to the days we got to spread our news... till now... What a wonderful life :)

1 comment:

  1. Oh my God! what an amazing story!! The same thing happened to me when I was pregnant with my first! I must have taken like 10 tests or something.. and I still didn't believe it until I saw her on the u/s for the first time! I remember it like it was yesterday!...
    So sweet!

    ReplyDelete